The WAGS Statement of Purpose is:
- to provide a genealogical society for the people of the greater Whittier area;
- to encourage and stimulate interest in genealogy;
- to provide interesting educational genealogical programs;
- to develop and execute genealogical projects;
- to provide a center for exchange of surnames and genealogical material;
- to be available to respond to questions from people outside the area about the history of the Whittier area.
Operating Year: June 2019 - May 2020
Board of Directors
The Whittier Area Genealogical Society (WAGS) was established on May 16, 1981 and currently has about 150 members.
Regular General Meetings with a guest speaker are held at 1:00 p.m. on the third Saturday of each month throughout the year and are open to the public. These meetings are held at the Whittier Masonic Lodge at the corner of Greenleaf and Mar Vista in Whittier.
Before the General Meeting, the Morning Class, a general instructional class begins at 11:00 a.m.
The Beginner's Workshop, a small, personalized genealogical help class, also meets at 11:00 a.m on the third Saturday of each month. These last two classes do not meet June, July, August, and December.
Our Writer's Group meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at 1:00 p.m. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center.
WAGS also sponsors a two-month program to help Scouts BSA members earn their Genealogy Merit Badge in December and January.
We hold our Annual Seminar on the last Saturday in January featuring a nationally known speaker.